Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Curse of Genesis 11

I have never thought much about the problem caused for mankind because of the tower of Babel. Of course I realize that it would be nice if everyone spoke the same language. But I have never spent this many days in a foreign country of Spanish speaking people and in a Bed and Breakfast where most of the residents are French. And, I haven´t had to attempt to teach, play with, and discipline children who don´t speak English. I am beginning to understand the curse of Genesis 11 more fully.
First, I am not surprised by all the wars that have been fought between nations, especially those prior to international councils. It is very easy to misinterpret people´s actions. For example, some times I have been quick to discipline Johan or Dayana only to figure (sometimes in the nick of time, sometimes not) that they really were intending to be helpful. Johan has been disciplined pretty strictly for kicking and spitting on his sister. However, I´m pretty sure he doesn´t just kick or spit for the fun of it, she has done something, or said something to aggitate him. Unfortunately I don´t know what she is saying to him.
Second, love may transcend language - but reason requires language. It is hard to explain to someone your intentions, or to reason why something is intended for their good when you don´t speak the same language. So, the disobedience of Genesis 11, that men would try to be like God, has had far reaching effects. And I am feeling the personal ramifications in my family right now. But then again, that pursuit of trying to be like God, to do things our own way, has always had personal ramifications in all our lives. Papi

No comments: