Saturday, February 23, 2008

Time out - in a foreign language is difficult

I highly recommend that you try time out in a foreign language someday.

After a few time outs, Johan is catching on that he can´t hurt his sister or the other girl in the B & B. Today, I tried a new tactic for time out after he dumped a bunch of water on the little girl to torment her. I took him to his bed and said that I was very sad that he had been bad and that I didn´t like it. Mami es moy triste, No me gusta, moy mal. Then I prayed for him to be a good boy and I think he understood. I took him to the girl (who had to change clothes and had quit crying) and he shook her hand and then she kissed him! I think that might have been even more effective than time out.

Sorry no pictures - unlike my sister Mary I don´t photograph when my kids are in trouble. :-)

2) Nap time had a brief time out too - We have a routine and after lunch the routine is brush teeth, Dora, short quiet time, then play outside. They won´t sleep but we are trying a 15 minute quiet time. Johan tries to get out of bed over and over so today, Dayanna got to go play and he had to spend 4 more minutos (oy mami) in his bed with mami. I had a hard time not laughing as he patiently watched my watch.

But don´t get the wrong impression. Johan is a very good boy who tries hard and often to do the right thing (he makes his own bed before we get up, cleans up spills at the table, organizes the toys, puts everything away including our clothes, etc). But like his mami he has a little ornery streak. We see it in his eyes now right before he does something. "Are they watching as I throw this rock at my sister´s head? Will they do anything about it?¨

95% of the time he and Dayanna are very good for which we are grateful. They have not gone through a temper tantrum stage that we were warned about, they just love on us as we love on them. VERY AFFECTIONATE and in need of affection.

And one last note speaking of affection. Dayanna saw us show affection to each other and asked if we were girlfriend and boyfriend. Spouse doesn´t make sense to her yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing a great job of parenting. Every child has those days. Even with the language difference, they seem to understand.

It is hard to keep a straight face, isn't it? :)

Love,
Neena

Angie said...

You are doing WONDERFUL! He sounds like a typical little boy! That's good; you want them to have a little orneriness (sp)? BUT unfortunately they do need to be punished for it sometimes! It is hard not to laugh, been there, done that, LOL!

Love ya!

Angie